15 titles were selected as nominees using the following guidelines:
- All titles are "Picture Books" (may include fiction, easy readers and nonfiction)
Title's copyrights are from previous 2 years (for 2011-12 list copyrights are from 2010 or 2009)The titles for the 2012-2012 list are older than 2 years so they will not potentially duplicate titles with the 2013-2014 Star of the North Award.
- Titles are available to order
- List of titles reflects multiple perspectives (ethnicity, culture, gender, socio-economic status, and ability)
- Consideration made for Minnesota connections and MN Authors or Illustrators.
- Caldecott winner or honor books will not be considered.
- The winners or honor books of ALA awards other than the Caldecott Award may be considered if the title reflects a non-dominant perspective (i.e. Pura Belpre Award, Schneider Family Award, Coretta Scott King Award)
- Titles are chosen with the idea of promoting quality and engaging picture books that may not be well known or popular.
- Titles will be reviewed by at least one professional review source. Books of special Minnesota interest or by Minnesota authors/illustrators may be considered on their own merit